Keeping kids healthy during winter
It's been chilly here in Sydney. Seriously, I can’t believe it’s already halfway through the year and winter is heading our way. No more weekends spent swimming at the beach now. It’s time for the winter activities to start. Unfortunately with a change in weather comes those dreaded bugs that kids love to share.
Here are a few tips to get winter-ready:
It’s time to swap out the kids hats for beanies
Last week we swapped out the kids hats for beanies when heading to the park, so I thought I would give all the busy mum's and dad’s a reminder so you don’t get stuck outside without them.
While the UV rays can still be intense in winter and hats are still necessary, it’s important to dress your kids appropriately and as it gets colder outside, beanies are the perfect accessory to keep their heads and ears warm.
Top 5 essential winter reminders:
- Make sure your kids are getting more immune-boosting food and drinks to help keep the bugs away. Fruits and vegetables are the best ingredients to increase and are packed with nutrients. If your child is anything like mine and won’t touch their veggies then my secret is to steam and then blend them into pasta sauce or add some avo or spinach to their smoothies and tell them it’s Hulk’s power drink. Voila! Check out 15 kid-friendly smoothie recipes from My Fussy Eater here.
- Keep them hydrated. Make sure to always pack their water bottles and make yummy soup for dinner. Check out this easy and healthy soup recipe from Kidspot
- Kids don’t usually feel the cold (my son would live in a t-shirt and shorts all year round if he could!) but make sure they’re dressed appropriately in pants, jumpers, closed shoes and beanies if they’re going outside.
- From a very young age, teach your kids to cover their mouths with their arm (not hands) when they cough or sneeze and how to wash their hands, ensuring they do this regularly and correctly.
- The UV rays are still strong during the colder months so if you’re outside when the sun is bright make sure the kids still wear their hats and sunscreen.
If you need new fresh beanies this year be sure to check out our new beanie collection. Want something a little more special for you or your littles ones? Then take a look at our personalised beanies for the whole family. So say Goodbye to your kids coming home from kindy with someone else’s beanie in their bag or accidentally coming home from the park to realise you took someone else’s beanie instead of yours!
Plus, as they’re available in kids and adult sizes they’re perfect for a bit of matchy-matchy. Who doesn’t love twinning with their little one ;)